Muddy boots

Muddy boots
Messy hands

Thursday 21 May 2015

Let it flow

I have always been a creative person but have often struggled to find the right outlet.  At school I loved English and Art and did very well in those subjects. When it came to choosing A levels I found it really hard because I wanted to pursue a science career but didn't want to let go of the Arts. Let go I did however as there wasn't space to fit in these other subjects and it wasn't seen as appropriate to mix the two disciplines.  

As I embarked on my studies through college and University I took delight in making careful drawings of cells, insects and fungi,  but that was the only drawing I did (apart from illustrating the letters I sent home). I continued to read novels but missed discussing them. Science was great though and I had no regrets.

Fast forward several (ahem) years and I find myself between careers. I have worked in science and healthcare and then decided to take time out to look after the children.  Over the last couple of years I have been feeling increasingly creative.  I have tried several things including starting a novel, blogging, making novelty cakes,  bento lunches,  loom bands (!), weaving and felting.  I have found a love for felting and really enjoy the magical process of turning a pile of fluffy wool into a beautiful creation. I am self taught and have recently taken the step of trying to sell my work at craft fairs. I have had a lot of positive feedback about my work and it's great.  I have struggled with perfectionism and low self esteem all my life and it took a lot for me to show my work in public.  The fact that people have bought things and ordered things has given me some positive affirmation.

 

I love the creative process and would continue regardless of possible sales. But I can't help dreaming and wondering whether I could turn my hobby into something more. And, furthermore,  what direction should my career head in next? Do I return to health / science,  or try something new? I have learned a lot about myself during this hiatus and I fully admit that I don't cope well with 9-5, 5 days a week and I do bring work worries home and take on board a lot emotionally. I also need to be around for the children. I will need to work when Sausage starts school as we need the money and I need to do something meaningful. But I need to fit in work around the family. I do genuinely experience a sense of flow and positive energy when creating, so it would be wonderful if I could incorporate this into a career.  Who knows what the future will hold. I'm ready for a new challenge.  Who's with me...?

No comments:

Post a Comment