Muddy boots

Muddy boots
Messy hands

Thursday 14 May 2015

Go bananas!

Good morning.  On this drizzly day I thought I would share a couple of recipes. Bananas feature heavily in our househould and the fruit bowl is rarely free of them. I eat them fresh,  but only when they are perfectly yellow as I find them far too sweet when overripe. The children are less fussy but don't like them too brown so we often have squidgy specimens perfect for baking. 

I have been eating banana cake all my life.  My grandma was a great cook and her banana cake was the ultimate comfort food.  It was simple and only adorned with a few flaked almonds but the whole family adored it. When I left home for Uni she presented me with a handwritten copy of her recipe and I have been baking it ever since.  Sadly,  with the passing of time I have lost the original recipe and having modified it over the years I don't properly remember it. So now I make a version of a basic sponge recipe with a mashed banana added.  It's nice but bit tired.  I have recently developed a new, lighter version of a banana cake using oil instead of butter.  It's lovely topped with a white chocolate and honey icing. If I can ever master how to add pictures to the blog using my phone I will include one, but until then I will just share the recipe with you. Here it is:

Banana cake

2 medium ripe bananas
125g brown sugar
180g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
100ml oil (sunflower works well but you could use coconut)

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees c (160 fan). Mash the bananas really well then whisk in the other ingredients and mix well. Add a pinch of cinnamon if you like.  I cook in a round baking tin for about 45 minutes.  Test for springiness or a clean skewer. Leave to cool then top with icing of your choice or leave plain.  I melted white chocolate with honey,  a little butter and milk and sieved in some icing sugar.  I'm sorry I can't give you quantities but I tend to make icings by eye. Enjoy.

The next recipe is for a banana granola.  I love granola but don't love the cost and sugar content so this home made version is great.  It's not very sweet so you may want to add more honey or syrup.  I like it how it is and Cheese and Apple love it.



Banana granola

1 ripe banana, mashed really well
Approx 300g / 3 cups oats
60ml oil (sunflower / olive / coconut - I use sunflower)
80 ml maple syrup, honey or a mixture
Approx 100g / 1 cup nuts and seeds of your choice
Vanilla , cinnamon or other flavourings - optional

Preheat oven to about 150 degrees c (140 fan), grease a large baking sheet or line with baking paper. Mix the bananas with the oil and syrup then stir into the oats with the nuts and seeds. Add spices if using. Mix everything really well then spread out on the baking tray. Bake in the centre of the oven for approx half an hour but check and stir at least every ten minutes to allow even cooking. It needs to be a lovely golden colour but burns easily so be careful.  It will crisp up as it cools. Eat with milk, yoghurt or nibble from the tub! Keep in an airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment